"Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still dark. 
In effect, the people who change our lives the most begin to 
sing to us while we are still in darkness. If we listen to 
their song, we will see the dawning of a new part of ourselves."

Rabindranth Tagore

Existential Intelligence is the sensitivity and capacity to engage questions about human existence – how we got here, whether we have a purpose, and whether there is meaning in Life. Existential intelligence embraces the exploration of aesthetics, philosophy, religion and values like beauty, truth, and goodness. A strong existential intelligence allows human beings to see their place in the big picture, be it in the classroom, community, world, or universe.

First proposed by Howard Gardner, existential intelligence is one of nine theorized intelligences and is considered to be amoral – that is, it and the other eight categories of human intelligence can be used either constructively or destructively.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

More Street Art







As an exercise to get back into studio mind I've been machine stitching on paint chips. There's nothing great about these, but it's a good warm up and fun to respond to the paint chip name as a way of riffing on the imagery.

The paint chips were named:
Spritz of Lime
Jackson Square (an ode to Pollack....)
Night Shift

I took these three little pieces out and hung them on the street - once again using telephone poles because they already have an embarrassment of ready to use nails. Hopefully the clipboards will help avoid the problem I had with Round 1 of my Street Art project - when a piece wasn't secure on the nail and subsequently crashed.

I put the same note on the back of these pieces - Free Art. Take this if you want it. I posted them in a different neighborhood. We'll see whether they disappear, and whether anyone calls to let me know they've claimed ownership.

2 comments:

  1. Paint colors have a fascination for me - what a good idea to use these as a jumping off point for drawing! I'd love to come across one of your telephone poles. Guess I will just have to get into action here in my own village.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and timely inspiration this is! I just took home a big pile of large paint chips like that. Not knowing what I wanted them for, just knowing they were way too good as "art parts" to throw in the trash. I didn't think of stitching directly ON them! I think I'll follow your example, I've been sort of in a non-creative rut lately, this should help. Thanks for all your great blog posts.

    ReplyDelete